2014 favourites!

It's that time of the year to look back and give credit where credit is due, to outstanding products discovered during the past year. Just like the previous year, I have to mention before you read on, I don't spend nearly the amount of time, money and effort trying out everything and anything the beauty industry throws at us, the way many established beauty bloggers do, due to limitations to my budget and attention span. But what I do try and love has a lot of research and careful consideration behind it. If you drive a Toyota, but prefer the Ferrari equivalent of makeup and skin care in your carefully curated collection, then keep reading ;).



Best in Skincare

In 2013 I didn't really make any spectacular skincare related discoveries. I'm happy to say that 2014 has been a major improvement! I tried out a myriad of French pharmacy skincare (there'll be a separate blog post dedicated to that experience in the near future), some of it was okay, some meh, and some have become re-purchases. Same goes for Japanese skincare!

I thought long and hard, and what I truly loved in 2014 were the Shiseido Ibuki Protective Moisturizer SPF 18, and Vichy Aqualia Thermal line, including the Legere cream, serum and thermal water spray.

It's funny, as I'm writing this, googling the names of the products to make sure I have the correct, full names (why, what's with the paragraph long names??), I've come across the Paula's Choice ratings for all of these, and they're not good. What the poor rating boils down to is “not enough innovative ingredients”, “buckets of alcohol” and “too expensive”. Well... Can't really deny the ingredients list, can I. However, I don't think you can categorize one ingredient as being perpetually bad or good, it really depends on the specific cocktail and the unique needs and characteristics of the skin on which it is applied. Look at SKII, they're raved about as the freaking fountain of youth, and the main point of uniqueness with them is the use of sake. An alcohol...

While I love online reviews and opinions and depend on them largely when making purchases, heck, even when just deciding what to try, because I'm definitely not someone who'll try anything once, as my skin is very sensitive and I've had products backfire spectacularly before, there is a saying in my native language that translates to “your own eye is king”, and it's true. Your personal experience, no matter how much something is hated or raved about, is the most important one.

This is a very loose mantra, but I tend to avoid alcohol in liquids such as toner or cleanser, due personally experiencing the havoc it can wreak on your poor, acne prone skin (I'm looking at you Neutrogena), and I tend to avoid oil in things like foundation, creams and lotions. I don't mind the content of either in the opposite product, if that makes sense.

I tried many samples of the Ibuki line and settled on the moisturizer with SPF because the other one, though more multi functional, didn't sit as well with my skin. They're both very lightweight and runny, but the Refining Moisturizer didn't seem to ever fully absorb and left a sticky film on my face which I loathe. The SPF 18 however, melts into skin in no time, makes my skin feel soft and most importantly, is great under makeup.

The reason I wanted to go on a bit of an HG skincare quest is because although my skin is the healthiest it's been in a while, makeup just wouldn't look good on – it was sort of... Uneven, blotchy... Dehydrated looking, and I knew it was partly the skin, not just the cosmetic products I was applying. So that's why I wanted to find a reliable day and night time routine. Using the Ibuki moisturizer during the day and the Vichy Aqualia Thermal products at night (either just the cream or with the serum, before which I spritz my face with the thermal water), has made my skin tone more even, bright and the texture plump, I have less random breakouts, and when they do happen, they heal fast and leave much less significant marks. Also, makeup applies more smoothly and beautifully, really.

Again, I'm not hating on anyone's opinion, but your own experience is what really matters. These products have been working beautifully for me, personally. I don't mind the alcohol content in these products because there are very few moisturizers I've tried that truly give me that satisfying feeling of hydration and full absorption into the skin. I'm not a scientist, but what it feels like to me is like the alcohol content is a means to create a liquid consistency that's easy to spread without tugging and pulling on your skin, and then once that task is done, it just evaporates. I'm not claiming this will work for everyone, but if perhaps you have combination oily, dehydrated, sensitive, acne prone skin (phew, that's a long list), you might consider getting some samples of the above mentioned and give them I try, because so far, I love them. I'm on my second bottle of the Ibuki moisturizer and the Vichy crème legere.

I should like to mention two fails that come to mind as well. One is a a bit of a nameless, local nature skincare line that you're not really going to be able to get unless you live where I do. I tried their cucumber toner, now that WAS drenched in alcohol and my skin literally ached after one use. Needless to say I didn't use it again and the merchant granted me a refund due to it irritating my skin into an all over texture of micro pimples. So, alcohol in toner, a big fat NO. Nooo-ooo!

And the other product had an equally bad result that sadly took nearly three months to heal. I was as excited as a 5 year old on Christmas when Lisa Eldridge uploaded her facial massage routine. The only suitable product I had on hand to use when trying it out myself was coconut oil. I love coconut oil, I use it almost every time I get out of the shower in place of a moisturizer. I did not expect for it to be completely unsuitable for the face. Only after my face broke out in overall redness and countless acne volcanoes when I'd attempted the massage three nights in a row, did I do some research and find out that coconut oil clogs pores and is comedogenic. I went from having one blemish every two months to having fifty that wouldn't go away. My skin felt suffocated, inflamed and horrible in every way. The worst part is how long it took for the inflammation to go away. It was a miserable September to November I tell you! So, I still use and love coconut oil on my body, but I caution anyone with sensitive skin, who might think of putting it on their face. I know a lot of people use it to remove makeup and in place of a moisturizer, but if you have acne prone skin, I really don't recommend you risk it. Mature, dry skin – go ahead.



Body and Hair Care

I tried several high end shampoos this past year, some good, some bad (Kanebo's being a particularly underwhelming fail), and the two that truly stood out were the L'Occitane Aromachologie Volumizing Shampoo and Balmain Paris Hair Couture Volume Shampoo. Volume is definitely a trend here.

I have an oily scalp, long and very fine hair with frizzy split ends (probably because I only make it to the hair dresser's once every two years). Pretty much every shampoo from L'Oreal to Pantene and everything in between at the supermarket makes my scalp even greasier, while also making it flaky, adding frizz and causing my hair to fall out, and I don't have a lot to begin with! I'd been using the Tigi Bed Head volumizing shampoo and conditioner for years and while it worked well, I felt like my hair was getting dry so I wanted to try something new for variety.

I actually got a travel set of L'Occitane products before committing to anything full size and was stunned when my favourite products were the ones I'd written off in the beginning – the shampoo and conditioner. The ones in the set were their repairing line. I was blown away by how soft and rejuvenated my hair felt and how amazing the products smelled. However, my hair also felt even thinner and oilier, I had to resist the urge to wash it again the same day. I asked for samples from a local L'Occitane counter of their volumizing line, hoping it would suit my hair better, and as predicted, it did. I purchased full sizes of the shampoo and conditioner, and have re-purchased the shampoo twice. I'd still buy the repairing line too, to use on occasion as a treatment, because the lines don't have the same fragrance – the volumizing line has a very grassy, herbal scent – and I much prefer the repairing line's floral fragrance.

I tried the Balmain shampoo on a whim. I noticed their entire hair care line appear on a shelf in a store I frequent over night and was intrigued. I had no idea these products existed and was drawn in by the ultra minimalistic, chic packaging. Both the Balmain and L'Occitane give me a similar result – my hair feels soft and smooth, looks shiny but feels natural, like the kind of hair I had when I was five years old. The ends aren't as full of static, my hair doesn't look like it's sticking to my scalp and there's just ever so slightly more body to it. People with naturally thick hair will laugh at what I consider “more body”, but I'll take whatever I can get! I don't like styling products in my hair on a daily basis, so whatever oomph I get, has to primarily come from the shampoo and conditioner. My hair looks healthy and sleek with a hint of body thanks to these two products. I like them both, but I like the Balmain ever so slightly better. No particular reason, it's just a feeling. However, I'd sooner re-purchase the L'Occitane. It's easier to get, you can open the bottle to get the very last bits of product out, while the Balmain comes with a pump that you cannot unscrew and you can't see how much product is still left in the opaque white bottle. Also, the quantity the pump disperses is very small and the product doesn't lather well at all. I need 5-7 pumps of shampoo for my hair to feel like I got it clean. I tell myself it's those darn small pumps, that in fact the amount of product I'm using isn't that huge, but I can't shake the feeling that you need more of it compared to the L'Occitane to get the same result.

My third favourite hair care product discovered in 2014, is the Alterna Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil Mist. That's a lot of words... I'd only tried one other unimpressive hair oil and my own concoctions of coconut and olive oil, and didn't like the result. The Kendi Oil is nothing like what I'd previously experienced. I spray some of it onto my palms and run them through the ends of my hair, calming whatever frizz there might be. It doesn't leave my hair greasy or weighed down at all, it does its thing – smoothes and adds shine – and gets completely absorbed. I loved this product! I'd been looking for something to address my dry, split ends for the longest time and this does everything. Also, it smells nice and I love how little you need – the bottle will last a very long time. I use one sprits daily before going out as a finishing touch, and I also use it on damp hair before blow drying.

My only must have body product of 2014 is the L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil. I discovered it in the same travel set as the shampoo. I'd had high expectations after reading some rave reviews and initially hated this product. I was intrigued by how an oil could become foamy, but let down by how little lather you got and how much product you needed to use if you wanted to substitute something like soap or a shower gel with this. It felt incredibly wasteful, like the bottle wouldn't even last a month, and to top it off I hated the smell. I'd read so many reviews mentioning how amazing the almond scent of this product was and was very confused by the foreign bouquet that was decidedly unpleasant to me. I had all but written this stuff off when I decided to try it in another way mentioned here and there, for shaving. This is where the Almond Oil truly shines! I don't know how, but it really helps achieve a close shave, and best of all, you can use it very sparingly for this. I turn the water off when I use it, so it doesn't wash the foam off my legs, this way you really just need a few drops for each leg. I started out hating the little travel size, but am now on my second full size bottle of the Almond Oil.



Makeup

My makeup favourites this past year have been incredibly basic things. The first is a re-discovery, my Guerlain Terracotta 4 Seasons Bronzer in 00 Nude. I was never over the moon about this product, I'd expected more, to be honest. Even now I feel like I haven't fully tapped into its potential simply due to not having the perfect brush for it, something like the Goss 11 or 13. Something dense and firm, but still relatively soft. Even on my fair skin, using a soft squirrel brush takes an absolute eternity to get any sort of colour payoff. Also, the colours – both the blush and bronze shades – aren't my favourites. They definitely suit me, extremely well, and look very demure and natural (sneaky even), but they're not the shades I'd like on me ideally. It's a personal dissatisfaction really, like when you have curly hair but want it to be straight, despite everyone complimenting your natural locks. This bronzer looks exactly what my skin looks like when I get some sun, or when my cheeks are flushed, dead on. However, that doesn't mean I still don't wish my skin turned golden in the sun and my cheek a baby pink in the cold.

I was using the bronzer not sparingly at all, actually looking forward to it being used up so I could try something else, when one day I realized its magic. I was in Florida, arriving in style in a convertible, and of course, got sun burnt (it was still winter in New York, so this came as a bit of a shock). Not to complain about the generous amount of heat in Sarasota, but my forehead, nose and cheeks looked rather pathetic after a few hours in the sun. I figured, well okay, so I won't look nice in photos, I'll still have a good time. Really, the way I looked, there was no point in wearing makeup at all. But old habits die hard, so I started applying my face in the morning as normal. I saw how my sheer foundation did nothing to tame the sunburn and sighed. Then, I reached for the 00 Nude and voila, magic! Something about this powder allowed me to cheat a look, where my whole face had a healthy amount of colour, blending in with the red sunburn. I was blown away! This is when the Guerlain bronzer became HG for me. An absolute must on holiday! When I finally hit pan on it, I panicked. It's such a deceitful product, I can still see the embossing of the Guerlain logo, and yet, pan. I was sure it would never happen. Also, when I wanted to purchase a backup, turns out none of the counters around me had this product anymore, either at all, or that particular shade... Thus, now it's reserved for travel primarily, and I use it very, very sparingly indeed.

My final two makeup favourites are the Christian Dior Diorshow Fusion Mono in 821 Chimere cream eyeshadow, and the Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupté Shine in 15 Corail Intuitive. The Dior is pretty much my go to daily look, a shimmery pink singe shadow all over the lid – done. Also, it's great as a pop of sheen over a smoky eye in the center of the lid, or as a base for eyeshadows that crease on their own. It's not bullet proof, they still crease, but it works so much better than if I had nothing underneath at all. With such rigorous use, previous pinky powder shadows would last about 4-5 months. I've had this one for nearly a year and it'll last for at least as much more. It's certainly drier now, there's no denying it, but still very usable. This is exactly the sort of shade that I would recommend getting a cream shadow version of – something you really use almost daily, as opposed to pretty, unique shades that you use once or twice a year and then realize they've dried out.

I used the YSL lipstick over summer and fall and just loved it. It's not super pigmented, just enough, and it's this perfect peachy coral, which happens to be the sort of shade that suits me best. It's almost completely gone now, I'll scrape out what I can and repurchase it in spring. Meanwhile, I got one in nr 8, a more rosy shade, for the winter, which I'm also really enjoying. I love how they smell and feel, but this comes at a price – they don't last very long, on the lips, or in the tube, sigh =(.

So, overall I've found quite of few HG products this past year and the search/adventure continues in 2015. Hope this was a fun read, better late than never ;).

Comments

Popular Posts